Dr. Henry Martyn Clark (Peshawar, c. 1857 – Edinburgh, April 1916) was an Afghan-born adopted British medical missionary stationed in Amritsar in the late 19th century. Clark was born to Afghan parents, and was adopted after his mother’s death by Elizabeth and Rev. Robert Clark in 1859. It is thought that he was named Henry Martyn after the Anglican missionary to Persia and India. Clark was educated at the University of Edinburgh (MB, CM 1881) and received his MD in 1892. In 1881 he was accepted by the Church Missionary Society to start the Amritsar Medical Mission as a Medical Missionary. He left for Amritsar to join his father on 4 February 1882. The same year he married his wife Mary Emma. He was editor in chief of the Dictionary of the Punjab, and wrote a biography of his adoptive father, Robert Clark of The Panjab: Pioneer and Missionary Statesman. He retired to Edinburgh in 1905 where he lectured in tropical diseases. He is buried in the Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. His birth date on the stone is 19 September 1859 and the death date is 10 April 1916. The inscription reads “Physician to both soul and body” He was survived by his wife Mary Emma Ireland, and their sons Walter Ireland Foggo Martyn-Clark and Robert Eric Noel Martyn-Clark. Their sons were both born in Amritsar and like their father studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh.
In 1893, he chaired the written debate between MGA and Athim. In 1897, MGA and his team sent an Ahmadi named Abdul Hameed to murder Dr. Clark. Dr. Clark is mentioned extensively in Kitab ul Barriya. MGA was saved by a british officer in this case, as he exhonerated MGA (Captain Douglas). MGA always got bailed out as such, him and his whole family were above the law in British-India. The ROR of Nov-1935 mentions Dr. Clark and his case, and the intervention of Captain Douglas, who saved MGA from getting arrested. Later on, in 1936-39, Dard met Captain Douglas and celebrated him. Dr. Clarke is mentioned in the ROR of May-1943.
Continue reading “Dr. Henry Martyn Clark vs. Mirza Ghulam Ahmad”