Uptil 1984, there were barely 300 Ahmadi’s in all of Germany, Lahori and Qadiani. In fact, the Lahori-Ahmadi’s had the first Ahmadiyya temple built in 1922 and it is still standing, whereas the Qadiani-Ahmadi’s were forced to flee from Germany in the same era. The Qadiani’s also showed up in 1922, they sent Maulvi Mubarak Ali, from the UK in late 1922, and lasted for about 2 years. Malik Ghulam Farid also showed up in 1923 to help and also left in 1924. By 1924, the Qadiani-Ahmadi’s had totally given up in Germany and left. They returned after WW-2 (1950’s) and built their first temple in 1957. Meanwhile, the Lahori-Ahmadi’s opened their temple in 1922 and Maulvi Sadr ud Din published a German translation of the Quran later in 1939. Maulvi Sadr ud Din was also their imam in 1922, he was the pioneer and got the famous Berlin Mosque aka Wilmersdorfer Moschee built. It is situated on Brienner Straße 7-8 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It was designed by K. A. Hermann and was built between 1923 and 1925. Berlin Mosque, which has two 90 feet (27 m) tall minarets, was heavily damaged in World War II. The two minarets were rebuilt in 1999/2001. The foundation stone was laid on 6 August 1923 and the mosque was inaugurated officially on 26 April 1925. In 1925, Maulvi Sadr ud Din returned to Lahore, British-India.
The Qadiani’s returned after WW-2 (1950’s) and built their first temple in 1957. In 1984, the Qadiani-Ahmadi’s became dominant as a result of their fake asylum cases. By 1995, we estimate that 10,000 Qadiani-Ahmadi’s had arrived in Germany. By 2022, the number is most likely at 15,000 total Ahmadi’s in Germany. In 2013, the Ahmadiyya Movement reported 35,000–45,000 adherents and found in 244 communities as of 2013. In 2013 the AMJ became the first Islamic organization to gain recognition as ‘Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts’ (KdöR) in Hessen, giving it legal status on par with the Christian churches and allowing it to establish faith-based universities and to collect religious taxes (Heimken 2013, sec. 1). In 2014 the same result was achieved for Hamburg. This shows that the AMJ is recognized as practicing a form of Islam that is considered compatible with German societal values such as liberalism, democracy and a state organized along secular lines.
The first ever Lahori-Ahmadi missionary in Germany
Maulvi Sadr ud Din was the first ever Ahmadi missionary in Germany. He was the pioneer and got the famous Berlin Mosque aka Wilmersdorfer Moschee built. It is situated on Brienner Straße 7-8 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It was designed by K. A. Hermann and was built between 1923 and 1925. Berlin Mosque, which has two 90 feet (27 m) tall minarets, was heavily damaged in World War II. The two minarets were rebuilt in 1999/2001. The foundation stone was laid on 6 August 1923 and the mosque was inaugurated officially on 26 April 1925. In 1925, Maulvi Sadr ud Din returned to Lahore, British-India.
01. Hazrat Maulana Sadr-ud-Din, Founder and Imam (1922)
02. Maulana Abdul Majid, Asstt. Imam (1921)
03. Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani, Imam (1925)
04. Dr. S. Muhammad Abdullah, Imam (1928)
05. Dr. Mirza Aziz-ur-Rahman, Asstt. Imam (1933)
06. Dr. Nazir-ul-Islam, Asstt. Imam (1938)
07. Mrs. Amina Mosler, Caretaker (1937)
08. Bro. Muhammad Aman Hobohm, Imam (1949)
09. Mr. Abdul Aziz Khan, Acting Imam (February 1959)
10. Maulana Muhammad Yahya Butt, Imam (Nov.1959)
11. Ch. Saeed Ahmad, Imam (1989)
12. Ch. Riaz Ahmad, Imam (2004)
13. Mr. Amir Aziz, Imam (2016)
The first ever Qadiani-Ahmadi missionary to Germany
Maulvi Mubarak Ali was sent to Germany from the UK in late 1922 and lasted for about 2 years, he was the 2nd Ahmadi imam to work in the country, the Lahori’s had the first. Malik Ghulam Farid also showed up to help and also left in 1924. They returned after WW-2 (1950’s) and built their first temple in 1957.
We don’t have a full list of Ahmadi murrabi’s. However, by 1966 (and since at least 1957), Chaudhry Abdul Latif was working as the Missionary-in-Charge of Germany. Fazal Ilahi Anwari is also named as a murrabi working in the country in 1966 (Ahmadiyya Muslim Mosques Around The World – A Pictorical Presentation. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; Khilafat Centenary Edition. 2008. ISBN 978-1882494514). Fazal Ilahi Anwari matriculated from Govrnment High School Bhera in 1944, Maulana Fazal Elahi Anwari, who was the first student to be on the rolls of the college at Qadian in 1944. In recognition of his merit for having stood first in his school in the matriculation examination he was given roll number one. After his B.Sc. Maulana Anweri joined the Jamia Ahmadiyya and later rendered immense services to the Jamaat as missionary and Amir in Germany, Nigeria and Ghana. He has sent the following message to the association:
Then, hardly two years had elapsed, when it had to migrate to Lahore as a result of the partition of Indo-Pak subcontinent, leaving its beautiful building at the mercy of non. Muslim refugees settling in Qadian. There, at Lahore, the college was restarted as if from a scratch, first in a forsaken house of Dr. Khaim Singh in the Canal Park; then in the utterly ruined building of D. A. V College, Lahore. I , a student of the third year, still remember how each and every window was reconstructed to give the totally devastated building the shape of a house worthy to live. When, after the Jama’at had spent enormous wealth on it, repairing every inch of the building and establishing science laboratories etc., then orders came, all of a sudden, to vacate the building for another purpose.. T.I. College was then shifted to Rabwah in an altogether newly constructed building. In 1974 it was taken, nay confiscated by the then Government of Pakistan in the name of the so called “nationalisation”. The college still exists but with little effort to restore it to its past glory. Fazal Elahi Anweri. Uptil 1975, he was the missionary-in-charge.
Haidar Ali Zafar Sahib was also working in the country in 1977 and Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib, missionary of Frankfurt.
Ahmadiyya sources claim that a German lady wrote a letter to MGA (See the Al-Badr).
In February of 1920, Indian Muslim political activist Pro. Abdul Jabbar Kheri met a German Muslim, Dr. Khalid Banning and began to consider the prospects of setting up an Islamic Centre in Berlin. While he considered this with Dr. Khalid Banning, Pro Abdul Jabbar Kheri received letters originally written to the Imam of the Woking Muslim Mission of England from a German lady suggesting the opening of a mission in Berlin following the basis of the Woking Muslim Mission of the Shah Jehan Mosque. His brother, Pro. Sattar Kheri sent the letters out to the Imam of the Mosque at Woking, Maulana Mustafa Khan and from there it reached the Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement (Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha’at-i-Islam Lahore). The purview and the viability of the plan was considered and eventually accepted by the Lahore Movement.
In March 1922, the Lahori-Ahmadi-Anjuman decided to send Maulana Sadr-ud-Din and Maulvi Abdul Majid M.A. (of Hyderabad Deccan), a teacher in the Muslim High School, Lahore, to Germany. Later on Maulvi Abdul Majid was appointed Imam of the Mosque at Woking (England). Maulvi Abdul Majid left for Germany with Mian Ghulam Abbas on June 7, 1922. The latter stayed on in England for higher Studies in Audit and Accounts. Later he rose to the status of first Auditor General of Pakistan. After retirement he was given an assignment at the UNO. For initial eight or nine months, Maulvi Abdul Majid worked in Germany single-handedly. During this period, Khwaja Kamal-ud-Din (Founder of the Woking Muslim Mission, England) visited Berlin in July/August 1922 in order to assess the situation for the setting up of the Mission. He sent to the Central Anjuman in Lahore his detailed report which also contained a proposal for the construction of a mosque. From October 1922 onward, Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali started his fund-raising campaign for the Berlin Mosque through lectures and appeals published in the weekly Paigham-i Sulh, Lahore. Meanwhile Maulana Sadr-ud-Din and Maulvi Abdul Majid carried on their Islamic activities from Gotesbacht Street, 5/111 Garbortenberg, Berlin.
Hugo Marcus, was a gay-german, and an Ex-Jew who converted to Ahmadiyya in roughly 1922-1923, and he was writing in a gay magazine after joining Ahmadiya. Hugo Marcus (1880-1966) was born a German-Jew, but converted to Lahori version of #Ahmadiyya, becoming one of the most prominent Ahmadi’s in Germany prior to the Second World War.
On the other hand, the Kheri brothers, who had so far been persuading the Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha‘at-i Islam, Lahore to set up a mission in Berlin on the pattern of that in Woking for the preaching of Islam in Germany, took up cudgels from December 1922 to oppose the project tooth and nail. Their third brother, Abdul Ghaffar Kheri, through the daily Khilafat, Bombay and Ahl-i Hadith, Amritsar and Delhi, expressed resentment and accused the Ahmadiyya Anjuman in Lahore of foiling the efforts of their brother, Professor Abdul Jabbar Kheri by setting up of a mission themselves. So, he tried to mislead the Muslims by writing:
“Any assistance given to this Ahmadiyya sect which has made an appeal for a mosque, would result in discord and division among the Muslims because this sect would present Islam according to its own faith and ideology.”
Likewise, Mr. Abdul Ghaffar Kheri published articles against the Mission in the daily Zamindar of Lahore. Not content with this, Mr. Rashid-ul-Kheri even went to the extent of labelling the proposed mosque as Masjid-i Zarrar, which meant that this mosque was being built to cause disruption among the Muslims. With scant regard for this opposition, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din and Maulvi Abdul Majid continued their search for a suitable site. They also met the Muslim ambassadors and delegates in Berlin in this connection. The Ambassador of Turkey highly encouraged the Maulana and assured him of all possible help for the construction and continued to support him up to the stage of the completion of the Mosque.
3 Ahmadi imam are working in the country, one qadiani imams (Maulvi Mubarak Ali) and 2 Lahori-Ahmadi imams (Sadr ud Din and Maulvi Abdul Majid).
Malik Ghulam Farid come to Germany to help Maulvi Mubarak Ali.
The Qadiani-Ahmadi’s flee the country after their plans to open a temple fail. In January 1924, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din started the publication of a quarterly magazine in German called Muslimisch Revue in the style of The Islamic Review, the monthly magazine of the Woking Muslim Mission, England. Most of the articles were contributed by newly converted German Muslim scholars such as Dr. Hamid Marcus, Dr. Khalid Banning and Dr. Arif Griffelt. The magazine also featured translations of articles written by Maulana Muhammad Ali and Maulvi Abdul Majid. The periodical soon became popular not only in Germany but also in Yugoslavia, Hungary, Albania and other neighbouring countries. Its articles, translated into Croatian and other local languages, carried the message of Islam to a wider section of people in the region. More than half of the German Muslim converts entered the fold of Islam after reading its articles. Due to certain financial difficulties its publication remained suspended for two years, but by the efforts of Dr. S. Muhammad Abdullah it was re-started in 1929 and it continued its publication till 1939, when the Second World War began and it had to be stopped.
“Notes: The Berlin Mosque,” Islamic Review 13 (March 1925): 82.
The Lahori-Ahmadi temple is opened, Maulvi Sadr ud Din returns to Lahore-British-India. Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani takes over as the Lahori-Ahmadi imam in Berlin. The the Islamic Review boasted that in the new “mission field” in Berlin, “twenty-five converts have already turned to Islam.”51
Lahori-Ahmadi sources claim that their women donated money for this temple. The total value of the collection made on this occasion was Rs. 7300.00, of which Rs. 2500 was received in cash while Rs. 4800 was in the form of jewellery. The Qadiani-Ahmadi were claiming the same thing, however, their temple wasn’t built and that money disappeared.
In this regard the following ladies from other parts of the country also made significant contributions: Mrs. Ch. Muhammad Ismail (Revenue Officer), his daughter and sister-in-law (Montgomery), Mrs. Dr. Jalal-ud-Din (Gojra), Mrs. Sh. Maula Bakhsh (Sialkot), Master Muhammad Ismail (Sialkot), Mrs. Qazi Samiullah (Sargodha), Mrs. Sh. Abdul Wahid (Police Officer) (Abuhr), Daughter of Munshi Muhammad Bakhsh (Chak No. 355, Sargodha), Mrs. Sh. Maqbul Ilahi (Sheikhupura), Mrs. Syed Ahmad Hussain Shah (Hoshiarpur), Mrs. Babu Dilawar Khan (Peshawar) and Mrs. Mistri Yakub Ali (Jammu).
The ladies of the following Jama‘ats contributed collectively towards the fund: Lyallpur, Chak No. 81 (Sargodha), Qasur, Lahore Cantt., Gujrat, Chak 2 and 4 L (Okara), Mardan, Kunjah, Wazirabad and Charsaddah. A non-Ahmadi lady sister of Muhammad Umar Barumi from Atman Zai contributed Rs. 400.00.
Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani belonged to the district of Hoshiarpur. He did his B.A. at Islamia College, Lahore. He joined the Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha‘at Islam, Lahore in 1920 and was sent to Trinidad as a missionary in the same year. On his way he stayed at Woking (England) for two months. He served as a missionary in Trinidad till the end of 1924. Afterwards he spent a few months in New York with the object of setting up a mission, but he did not succeed. He was then sent to Berlin.
In May 1925, he took charge of the Berlin Muslim Mission after Maulana Sadr-ud-Din returned to Lahore, India. Meetings of the German Muslim Society were held regularly, in which Dr. Hamid Marcus and other new German Muslims gave learned discourses on various aspects of Islam and the life of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Some of the topics were “Materialism and Spirituality”, “The Importance of the Excellent Example of the Holy Prophet in the Present Age” etc.
Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani kept receiving invitations from different quarters to deliver lectures about the Ahmadiyya Movement which were followed by question-answer discussions. Afterwards, he wrote a series of articles on the Ahmadiyya Movement in the Muslimisch Revue. These were later published in English in the form of a book entitled The Ahmadiyya Movement. Two thousand copies of this book were printed in December 1926.
In 1926, on the suggestion of Malik Ghulam Muhammad of Qasur, a respected elder of the Jama‘at, the Anjuman agreed to undertake translation of the Holy Quran into German language. Keeping in view the importance of the project and huge expenses to be incurred, Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali published the following appeal in the weekly Paigham-i Sulh:
“I am fully conscious of the fact that there are already a great many burdens on this small Jama’at. But I also believe that Divine assistance is only granted when some difficult task is undertaken. So I am happy that through the fervent encouragement of a respected friend of ours, a concerted move to get the Holy Quran translated into German has begun. The establishment of a mission in Germany, the publication of a quarterly magazine and the construction of a mosque at the cost of around a hundred thousand Rupees – all these have been possible due to His special grace and blessings. When our Jama’at started this work, Allah, Most High, opened the doors of His Help in many ways. Obviously all that has been done over there so far is incomplete until we provide those people with the Holy Quran in their own language.”
Hence, efforts were made to find a suitable person for the translation work. Finally Dr. Abul Hassan Mansoor, Ph.D., of the Berlin University was selected. He was editor of a magazine, Deutsch Muslimisch Girschaft, published from Berlin. He arrived in Lahore in March 1928.
In June 1927, Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani expressed his thought-provoking views in an article entitled “Islam in Europe” on the method to be employed in propagating Islam in Europe and the need of understanding intellectual inclinations of the European people. Some excerpts from it are given below:
“In political terms, we, in the East, may describe Europe as a continent which is determined to keep the rest of the continents under its control, but when a person becomes acquainted with the various nations of Europe he comes to the conclusion that people of different races and nations live here: united Europe has no existence. So the methods which were successfully employed for the propagation of Islam in England cannot necessarily be successful here.
We must bear in mind that of all the nations of Europe, this nation has the firmest belief in Christianity. Although they believe that the Gospels are not authentic nor are they the Word of God and that the beliefs of the Church are irrational, yet in order to make others accept Christianity, they have presented it in a completely different garb – a garb of fine example and high ideals. The German nation is the leader of these high ideals in this age. Their research work and advancement in knowledge in various fields soon become the property of the whole world. Thus, in order to meet this challenge it is necessary to be familiar with the new thoughts and outlook of the German nation.”
In August 1927, Maulana Durrani, in his reports sent to Lahore, expressed his views on two important aspects of the Ahmadiyya Movement:
1. Why did the Reformer of the Age Appear in India?
2. The Propagation of Islam and the Ahmadiyya Movement.
He highlighted different aspects of the preaching of Islam in Europe with special emphasis on the importance of the following points:
- The need for moral and intellectual unity in the Islamic world.
- To prove the excellence of Islam in the religious world.
- Exposition of the distinguishing features of the world-wide Islamic brotherhood.
- The fundamental principles of Islam and their comparison with other religions.
During the same period, Maulana Durrani wrote strong and pithy articles in the Muslimisch Revue in reply to the objections raised against Islam by a well-known German scholar and Minister of Education, Prof. Pecker.
The services of the Berlin Mission and the Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha‘at-i Islam, Lahore, for the cause of Islam were being appreciated in Muslim countries. In one of its editorial notes in December 1928, the daily Iqdam of Tehran, the following tributes were paid to the Berlin Mission:
“The Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha‘at Islam, Lahore has constructed a magnificent mosque in the city of Berlin, Germany, which holds an eminent position among the buildings of the city. It was constructed two or three years ago and the work of preaching and propagating the teachings of Islam is done here. More than a hundred people from different walks of life have entered the fold of Islam, of which the most famous is Dr. Hamid Marcus. An Islamic periodical, Muslimisch Revue, is also published in German.”
One million zealous Slav Muslims were living in Yugoslavia. Due to the endeavours of the Mission, they started getting Croatian translation of the articles of the Muslimisch Revue and excerpts from the English translation and commentary of the Holy Quran by Maulana Muhammad Ali.
Sadly, Maulana Fazal Karim Durrani spent fairly large sums of money on the Mosque without the prior consent of the Central Anjuman. When the Anjuman questioned his unilateral decision, he decided to return home and, without awaiting the arrival of funds from the Anjuman, on May 16, 1928, he mortgaged the Mission House and the courtyard of the Mosque for sixteen thousand German Marks with the Theoranx Lands High Perthen Bank. Afterwards, he became annoyed and published several articles in the newspaper, Paisa Akhbar of Lahore, under the title “Letters from Germany” presenting uterly wrong and misleading information about his unwise act and tried to defame the Anjuman. Maulana Dost Muhammad, editor of the weekly paper Paigham-i Sulh, replied to it under the title Kashaf al-Ghita in its issues of the 8th, 12th, 15th and 19th of June, 1928. The dispute was taken to the court and finally, in February 1933, Maulana Durrani admitted his mistake and subitted his written apology.
In October 1928, Maulana Durrani returned to Lahore and joined the editorial staff of the Muslim Outlook. Then he started a monthly by the name of Muslim India. In 1928, he wrote a throught-provoking book, The Future of Islam in India.
As has been mentioned earlier, the Mission incurred a debt of twenty thousand German Marks during the tenure of Maulana Durrani. To take his place, Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah set off for Berlin on March 28, 1928.
The new head imam was Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah. Born in British India, in Rasul Nagar, Punjab, he had earned a B.Sc. and a M.Sc. at Forman Christian College in Lahore.130 After serving as joint secretary of the Ahmadi in Lahore in 1927, he was appointed deputy imam of the Berlin mosque in 1928, and subsequently earned a Ph.D. in chemistry at Berlin University in 1932.131 Imam Abdullah praised the regime while leading public tours of the mosque, and he made important changes to stock lectures, incorporating Nazi neologisms. He made further overtures to the Nazi regime in the summer of 1938.
Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah was born on November 2, 1898 in the town of Rasoolnagar, District Gujranwala. He passed his Matriculation with flying colours from the Government High School, Lyallpur. At this stage, his parents moved to Sialkot. He passed his B.Sc examination at the Forman Christian College, Lahore and came first in the whole of the Punjab. In 1922, he passed his M.Sc examination at the same college. He taught at the Islamia College, Lahore for some time. Then in April 1927 he was appointed as the Joint Secretary of the Central Anjuman. He left for Berlin in March 1928. He completed his doctorate at the Berlin University in 1932. In 1935, his thesis was printed in the periodicals of the Chemical Societies of Berlin and Calcutta. On the outbreak of the Second World War, he returned to Lahore and was appointed as the General Secretary of the Central Anjuman. In October 1946 he was appointed as the Imam of the Shah Jehan Mosque in Woking, where he died in May 1956.
In 1930, he (Durrani) founded Tablighi Literature Society and published a weekly called The Truth. During the same period Quaid-i ‘Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah came to Lahore. A meeting was arranged to resolve the differences between him and Dr. Sir Muhammad Iqbal. Maulana Durrani played a pivotal role in removing the misunderstandings which had existed between the two since 1928. (Creation of Pakistan by Justice Shamim Hussain Qadri, published by the Army Book Club,1983, p.90.)
In January 1930, various efforts were undertaken to pay off the mortgage against the Berlin Mosque. In September 1930, Dr. K.A. Khan, a devoted member of the Jama‘at made 88 shares of Rs.125 each, that is, the sum of money for which the Berlin Mosque was mortgaged, and appealed to the people to buy these shares. After hard struggle and great monetary sacrifices of the members and supporters of the Jama`at for nearly two years, and the tireless efforts of Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, the mortgage was finally paid off in November 1932.
The German Muslim Society was formed on March 22, 1930. Its officers were:
President: Dr. Hamid Marcus General Secretary: Professor Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah (M.Sc., Ph.D) Assistant Secretary: Mr. Umar Shoebert Muslim Members: Muhammad Tufail Ahmad (Engineer)
Dr. Abul Hassan Mansur Ph.D.
Non-Muslim Members: Mrs. Rodgez
In January 1931, a well-known Egyptian periodical, Al-Lataif al-Musawwara published pictures of Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali, the Mosque in Berlin and Babu Manzoor Ilahi, incharge of Foreign Correspondence Department at the Central Anjuman in Lahore along with the following remarks of the well-known scholar, Amir Shakieb Arsalan:
“This is a Mission of the Jama‘at Ahmadiyya, Lahore, which has established a centre for its preaching in Germany. The Lahore Jama‘at is distinct from the Qadian Jama‘at.”
Later on in the year 1931, the German Muslim Society arranged a tea party in honour of Allama Shakieb Arsalan on his visit to the Mosque. Among the distinguished guests who attended the party were the Afghan and Iranian ambassadors and the Minister of Education, Berlin, who appreciated the activities of the Jama‘at for the propagation of Islam. This year, for the first time, an hour-long programme about Eid al-Fitr was broadcast on radio all over Germany. On this occasion, a Ph.D. student at the Munich University accepted Islam; she was given the Islamic name Safia. In June, Dr. Abdullah delivered lectures at the Theosophical Society and the American Church. In July, a meeting was held to celebrate the birthday of the Holy Prophet Muhammad. In September, Dr. Abdullah attended the meeting of the executive committee of World Religions Conference at Geneva. The objective of the Conference was to arrange a special convention in 1932 on the subject, “The Spiritual Power of Religion can produce True Happiness and Peace in the World”. The special feature of the Conference was that participants who could not attend it, would have their papers on the subject read out. Dr. Abdullah proposed the names of Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali and Dr. Sir Muhammad Iqbal. On his way back, Dr. Abdullah met Allama Shakieb Arsalan.
This year, the Princes of Hyderabad Deccan were the guests of honour on the occasion of Eid al-Adha.
By 1932, the missionaries claimed that one hundred Germans had converted, all of whom except Hugo Marcus were apparently of Christian background.52
Dr. Mirza Aziz-ur-Rahman is appointed as an Asstt. Imam (1933) for the Lahori-Ahmadi’s.
In Burney’s famous work on the Ahmadi’s, he mentioned how an ex-Ahmadi, Dr. Maulvi Aziz ur Rehman, who was the imam of the Lahori-Ahmadi Berlin mosque from 1931-1936 was cast in a movie in Germany called, “A Woman of No Importance”, which was published in 1936. He played the role of a servant who served whiskey to his master. Burney even posted pictures. Dr. Mirza Aziz-ur-Rahman did his B.Sc. in Chemistry at the Islamia College, Lahore and his M.Sc at the Aligarh University. Afterwards, he completed his Ph.D at the Berlin University.
Maulana Sadr-ud-Din used to prepare translation and commentary of the Holy Quran in English. Then Dr. Mansoor would translate them into German. In this manner the translation of the Holy Qur’an in German was completed under the supervision of Maulana Sadr-ud-Din in February 1934. While the translation work was being done, Syed Mustafa Ahmad, a zealous member of the Jama’at, donated four hundred Rupees every month for the translation work, for a period of two years. In this manner, in all, he donated a sum of ten thousand Rupees. Some financial difficulties were encountered during the last stages of the work. However, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din’s appeal and generous contributions of certain members of the Jama`at enabled him to get it published in Berlin.
Members of the Jama‘at contributed generously towards the German translation of the Holy Qur’an. Several people outside the Jama‘at also gave financial support towards this important religious publication, among which a donation of Rs. 500 by the Princess of Manavar is worthy of mention.
In connection with the printing of the German translation, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din went to Berlin again in April 1937. He completed all the arrangements for the printing in a period of nine months and returned in December 1937. The supervision of proof reading and printing was done very diligently by Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah. At the end of 1937, for about six months, during the absence of Dr. Abdullah, Dr. Nazeer-ul-Islam served as Acting Imam of the Mosque and also looked after the proof-reading and printing of the Translation. Finally, in June 1939, by the Grace and Mercy of Allah, this Translation was printed at a cost of Rs. 15,000 and came out of press in August 1939.
The Translation was greatly appreciated in German circles. One German scholar expressed his opinion in the following words:
“This Translation has not only fulfilled a long-felt educational and religious need but it has also ensured that its dissemination will greatly spread and popularise the knowledge of the Quran and the teachings of Islam.”
Unfortunately, only a month after the publication of this Translation, on September 3, 1939, the Second World War broke out and the bombing of Berlin by the planes of the Allied forces not only damaged the dome and minarets of the Mosque but also destroyed the entire stock of the German translation of the Holy Quran, except for a few copies. After almost twenty-five years, in 1965, two thousand copies of its off-set edition were published in Pakistan. A sum of Rs. 20,000 was donated for it by a generous lady of Multan. Mrs. Sheikh Ataullah. The stock of this edition was also soon exhausted. In 1982, a famous German publishing firm, Sea Benztryn, decided to reprint the German Translation of the Quran. For this purpose, it obtained the opinions of several scholars of the Al-Azhar University and also of some German scholars about the authenticity and the standard of the translation and commentary and received their satisfactory opinion on all counts. Then the firm contacted the Central Ahmadiyya Anjuman in Lahore through the Imam of the Berlin Mosque, Maulana Yahya Butt to obtain its formal approval. Unfortunately, for certain reasons, agreement could not be reached.
Mrs. Amina Mosler, is named as a Caretaker of the Berlin Mosque.
In March 1937, Dr. Mirza Aziz-ur-Rahman, who had completed his Ph.D. in Chemistry from the Berlin University, started preparations to return to his homeland. He delivered an extremely scholarly lecture on “The Future of Islam in Europe” in a meeting. On the 23rd March, the German Muslim Society held a farewell party in his honour, at which Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, Dr. Devor Stunt, Mr. Abud Ibrahim Iraqi and Professor Tara Chand Roy Dehlavi greatly appreciated his learned contributions and services to the Berlin Mission.
On April 12, 1937, Maulana Sadr-ud-Din left for Berlin in order to finalise arrangement for the publication of the German translation of the Holy Quran.
On May 6, 1937, a reception was hosted by the German Muslim Society in honour of Maulana Sadr-ud-Din, in which Mr.Hikmat Bayar, Dr. Hamid Marcus and Professor Mirza Hassan Mu‘allam praised his services to the religion of Islam. In the same month, the Birthday of the Holy Prophet Muhammad was celebrated in which Hazrat Maulana Sadr-ud-Din explained distinguishing features of the personality of the Holy Prophet Muhammad in a very impressive manner. In the month of July, in a meeting of the German Muslim Society, an excellent lecture on the topic “The Revelations of Prophets” was delivered by Baron Faun Horest, a new German Muslim. He explained how the teachings of the prophets instil a new life into their adherents. In this meeting, Hazrat Maulana Sadr-ud-Din read out some sections of the German translation of the Holy Quran. The participants became inspired at the news of the forth-coming German translation of the Qur’an and highly appreciated it. In September, Dr. Muhammad Abdullah went to India for six months. In his absence, the responsibilities of running the Mission were borne by Professor Dr. Nazeer-ul-Islam, Ph.D.
In October 1937, Baron Foltanec delivered a very interesting and informative lecture about the archaeological relics of Islam at the meeting of the German Muslim Society. On October 17, 1937, Sir Aga Khan came to visit the Berlin Mosque and expressed great pleasure when he saw the German translation of the Holy Qur’an. On October 22, the German Muslim Society called a special meeting to laud the great religious services of Maulana Sadr-ud-Din for the cause of Islam in Germany.
Dr. Nazir-ul-Islam is named Asstt. Imam.
On January 17, 1938, a meeting was held under the presidentship of Sir Abdul Qadir at the Y.M.C.A Hall, Lahore, in which Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah delivered a splendid lecture on the subject “The Future of Islam in Europe”. On January 20, Dr. Abdullah left for Makkah to perform the Hajj. After discharging this holy duty, he had two meetings with Syed Jamil Daud, the Foreign Secretary of Saudi Arabia, and informed him of the activities of the Berlin Mission. He also had a meeting with Shah Ibn Saud which was arranged by Maulana Ismail Ghaznavi.
In February 1938, the Eid al-Azha sermon was delivered by Dr. Nazeer-ul-Islam. A meeting of the German Muslim Society under the presidentship of Mr. Khalid Zuyler was held in the same month, in which Mr. R. H. Goltmaz, a secretary in the German Government, delivered a remarkable lecture on “The Influence of the Religions of the World on the Nations of the World”. In April 1938, when Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah returned to Berlin, Dr. Nazeer-ul-Islam returned to his homeland.
Maulana Sadr-ud-Din, wrote the first German translation of the Quran in cooperation with the German convert Hugo Marcus. This translation was published in 1939. Hugo Marcus was officially on the payroll of the Lahori-Ahmadi’s. Hugo Marcus fled to British-India with the help of the Lahori-Ahmadi’s. Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah was forced to leave Berlin
The Lahori-Ahmadi temple, aka the Berlin Mosque aka Wilmersdorfer Moschee is heavily damaged during WW-2 by the Russians. The Berlin Mosque’s tall minarets were heavily damaged in World War II due to an attack by Russian soldiers. Not only were the minarets damaged but the dome received damage as well. After receiving funds from the Berlin Monuments Department to restore the building, the mosque was able to be reopened in 1952.
Mrs. Amina Mosler was the caretake of the Lahori-Ahmadi temple in this era.
The German translation of the Holy Quran was published in August 1937. However, in September, unfortunately, the Second World War broke out and Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah was forced to leave Berlin. He went first to Copenhagen (Denmark) and then returned to his homeland from there.
As the clouds of the Second World War loomed on the horizon, Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah became anxious about the future of the Mission because, being a British citizen, he would be compelled to leave Germany in case of war. At first, a German doctor and his wife volunteered to look after the Mosque and the Mission House and to bear their expenses, but soon the doctor had to join the armed forces and was killed in action and his wife also left the city. Finally, the responsibility of the Mosque and Mission House was entrusted to an energetic German Muslim lady, Mrs. Amina Mosler . In the past, she, too, had participated in the activities of the Society. She had already founded the Women’s League through which she had done commendable welfare work in various fields of the society. This pious lady faithfully and courageously looked after the Mission during the War and kept the Mosque alive in the most difficult conditions.
The contact between Berlin and the Anjuman at Lahore was severed until the end of the War. At first Germany occupied almost the whole of Europe, but then she was gradually repulsed. The Allied and American aircraft launched vicious air-attacks on Berlin and most of the city was destroyed. The Mission House, the dome and minarets of the Mosque were badly damaged. Mrs. Amina Mosler’s residence was completely destroyed but she and her son stayed in Berlin and obtained help from different quarters in clearing the rubble from the area of the Mosque after the fighting ceased. For a few months Berlin was completely under the control of Russian troops. On Mrs. Amina Mosler’s call for help in cleaning and doing necessary repairs to the Mission House and the Mosque, the Russian representative sent twenty men for the job. But soon this part of Berlin came under the control of the British army. The determination, courage and sincerity with which Mrs. Amina Mosler selflessly worked for the Mosque, throughout this period, are reflected in this report by Reuters which was published on August 12, 1945, in the daily Dawn of Karachi. The Urdu translation of this report was published in the weekly Paigham-i Sulh of August 22, 1945 and is as follows:
Reuters News about the Berlin Mosque:
“Berlin, August 12. Reuters’ correspondent writes from Berlin: The Berlin Mosque, which was built by Indian Muslim missionaries in 1927, has survived the war although it has suffered substantial damage and the dome has also received several blows.
The Mosque is situated in the part of Berlin which is under the occupation of the British Government. The minarets from which the muezzin calls the faithful to prayer are absolutely safe.
Six sincere and dedicated women have managed to repair the Mosque after five weeks of effort and hard work so that the Mosque is now fit for the offering of prayers. Amina Mosler a middle-aged German Muslim lady who has been looking after the Mosque during this time said:
‘The Mosque suffered little damage from the bombing and until the end of April when the fighting in the market-places and streets of Berlin started it was in a quite satisfactory condition. Then the men of the S.S dug a trench in the garden of the Mosque and the Russian soldiers kept launching attacks from the graveyard of Wilmersdorfen. Many of the bombs hit the Mosque. When the fighting ceased, the corpses of fourteen men of the S.S lay in the Mosque.’
Amina described how she was engaged in the repair of the Mosque for five weeks and said:
‘The greatest constraint we faced was the lack of capital because the Russian officials froze our bank account and we have not succeeded in drawing any money from the bank so far. During the War, there were six thousand members in our Jama‘at. Most of them went away and only a few hundred remain now. We gather in the Mosque on Saturday evenings and on Sundays because Friday is a working day, and also, due to transportation problems, the people cannot get together on Friday. Until the Mosque was repaired we made arrangements for prayers in a room of our house.
When the fighting around the Mosque stopped we put a huge red flag on the Mosque and wrote in bold letters that the Mosque was the property of British India so we did not have to face any trouble. Our printing press, where we used to publish religious literature, was completely destroyed by the bombing.’
Speaking of the German Muslims, Amina Mosler said:
‘We have lost around a dozen of our young people in this War, most of whom were killed on the Russian Front. I would like to especially mention a pious Muslim, Amin Wolf who was killed in Italy. He wrote a pamphlet only a few days before his death.’
In August 1945, when the news that the Berlin Mosque was safe was heard for the first time through Reuters, the President of the Anjuman in Lahore, Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali, made an passionate appeal for funds for the repair of the Mosque in Paigham-i Sulh under the title “Congratulations to the Jama‘at“. Every single word of this appeal reflects the depth of Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali’s zeal for the propagation of Islam. The pain and heart-felt anguish with which he pleads the members of the Jama‘at to spend their wealth for the cause of elevating the name of God in the world is worth reading.
On October 13, 1946 the three Ahmadi missionaries, Sheikh Nasir Ahmad, Abdul Latif and Ghulam Ahmad Bashir met in Zurich, Switzerland, intending to establish a mission in Germany. However, due to the recent conclusion of the war, they were unable to enter the country. As a result, a mission was established in Zurich instead. Soon after, Abdul Latif and Ghulam Ahmad Bashir left the country for the Netherlands, whilst Sheikh Nasir Ahmad continued to serve Switzerland for the following 16 years, until 1962. During this period a German translation of the Quran was published and an Islamic journal Der Islam was founded. (Ahmadiyya Muslim Mosques Around The World – A Pictorical Presentation. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; Khilafat Centenary Edition. 2008. ISBN 978-1882494514).
In May 1949, Muhammad Aman Hobohm ¾ a zealous German Muslim belonging to the northern German city of Leubec, was appointed as the Assistant Imam. Since his youth, he was interested in the comparative study of the teachings, history and culture of other religions. He had just started to form an organisation to promote this object when the Second World War broke out and he could not keep in touch with people. Immediately after the War, he happened to read Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali’s booklet, Islam the Religion of Humanity, and this booklet guided him towards the truth of Islam. Then he studied other books by Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali and finally he accepted Islam. In October 1947, he joined the Jama‘at after corresponding with Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali. Hazrat Maulana Muhammad Ali’s renowned book, The New World Order, was published in October, 1948. When Bro. Muhammad Aman Hobohm read it, he immediately sought permission to translate it into German. In this way, he was engaged in religious service on his own. Then he was selected for the Berlin Mission. For some time he remained under the training of Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah in Woking, after which, in May 1949, he started his work as the Assistant Imam of the Berlin Mosque.
On May 14, 1949, a special reception was held in Berlin presided over by Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, who was at that time in charge of the Woking Muslim Mission and was also responsible for the Berlin Mission. At this function, Bro. Muhammad Aman Hobohm’s appointment as the Assistant Imam was officially announced and he was introduced to the local German Muslims and other notables of the city. The reception was attended by more than two hundred Muslims. Details of the reception were broadcast through the world-renowned news agency, Reuters. A report about the function along with a brief history of the Mosque was also published by Pakistani newspapers.
Bro. Muhammad Aman Hobohm was proficient both in German and English. He also knew Arabic, French and Latin. Hence, during his term he started publication of a magazine called The Orient Post in three languages ¾ Arabic, English and German ¾ but due to financial difficulties it could not be continued for long. For the first time in the history of the Berlin Mosque and Mission, a German Muslim was made the Imam, but in spite of being a German he had to face bitter opposition.
The Qadiani-Ahmadi’s return to Germany, most of their propaganda is based out of Hamburg, West Germany (Our Foreign Missions, 1961 edition, Mirza Mubarak Ahmad).
In 1953, Imam Hobohm came to Pakistan and visited all the Jama‘ats. He delivered a wonderful lecture at the Peshawar University. He got married to the daughter of Mr. Azimullah, a renowned advocate of Lahore and the General Secretary of the Anjuman Hamayat Islam. On his return he served the Mission for one more year, after which he was forced to leave the Mission due to its financial constraints and his own domestic circumstances. He entered the Government service in 1954. At present, probably, he is working as the Cultural Attaché of the German Embassy in Saudi Arabia. During the four-year term of Imam Hobohm, eighty-two Germans entered the fold of Islam. On his departure, the responsibility of looking after the Mosque and Mission once again fell upon the shoulders of Mrs. Amina Mosler and that courageous and dedicated lady fulfilled this responsibility with utmost sincerity, devotion and faithfulness for five years.
The first ever Qadiani-Ahmadi temple is opened, The Fazle Omar Mosque (Ahmadiyya Muslim Mosques Around The World – A Pictorical Presentation. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; Khilafat Centenary Edition. 2008. ISBN 978-1882494514). This is in the city of Hamburg, Germany. Chaudhry Abdul Latif was working as the missionary-in-charge.
The second ever Qadiani-Ahmadi temple is opened, The Nuur Mosque (Ahmadiyya Muslim Mosques Around The World – A Pictorical Presentation. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; Khilafat Centenary Edition. 2008. ISBN 978-1882494514). The first ever German-born-Ahmadi-imam is also there, Abdush-Shakoor Kunze.
Chaudhry Abdul Latif Sahib, then missionary-in-charge of Germany, reports that the evening started with a message from Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II being read out, followed by a message from the Wakilut Tabshir (then Mirza Mubarak Ahmad Sahib).
Ahmadi delegates from other European countries had travelled to attend the historic event among whom were Hafiz Qudratullah Sahib, Sheikh Nasir Ahmad Sahib, Abdul Hakim Akmal Sahib, Kamal Yusuf Sahib and Bashir Ahmad Rafiq Sahib.
Sir Zafrulla Khan – then vice president of the International Court of Justice – had travelled from The Hague to deliver the keynote address that evening.
In the beginning of 1959, Mr. Abdul Aziz Khan, a well-known personality of the Mardan district and a respected member of the Lahori-Ahmadi-Jama’at, was designated Imam of the Berlin Mosque. Before Partition, he was the DSP of the CID in Bombay and he also worked as the General Secretary of the Central Anjuman, Lahore for a few years. He stayed in Berlin for a short period of barely nine months, during which the financial condition of the Mission did not improve, in spite of his efforts. The hostile propaganda of Muslims from other countries added to his woes. In these critical circumstances, Maulana Muhammad Yahya Butt was immediately sent to Berlin to take charge of the Mission. Maulana Butt had been working as the Assistant Imam of the Shah Jehan Mosque, Woking since August 1956.
In November 1959, Maulana Butt took charge of the Berlin Mission. Since no proper Imam had been sent to Berlin for a long time after Dr. Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, the headlines of the local newspapers heralded the arrival of Maulana Butt. Maulana Muhammad Yahya Butt served as the Imam of the Berlin Mosque for twenty-seven years and four months ¾ a considerably long period of time (uptil 1987). Through his efforts, one hundred and seventy-five people entered the fold of Lahori-Ahmadism.
Maulana Muhammad Yahya Butt was born into a religious and educated family of Sialkot on February 24, 1924. After completing his High School education, he joined government service. The religious atmosphere of his childhood left an indelible impact upon his personality and this became more pronounced as he grew older. His grandfather, Mian Muhammad Abdullah was reputed in the city for his conscientiousness and piety. The Founder of the Ahmadiyya Movement was well known in every house of Sialkot. Mian Muhammad Abdullah went to meet him and, impressed by the saintly light on his face and his speech, enquired if he was the Promised Imam whose arrival had been foretold by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Hazrat Mirza replied in the affirmative and was going to give proof of his claim but Mian Muhammad Abdullah said there was no need for that; he only wanted to assure himself that he was the Promised Imam and desired the acceptance of his bai’at.
In 1941, Maulana Butt joined government service in Sialkot. After three years he was transferred to Lahore where he took up his residence at the Delhi Gate. He regularly attended the Fajr prayers at the Ahmadiyya Buildings and Maulana Sadr-ud-Din’s dars of the Holy Quran.
In 1945 when Maulana Muhammad Ali appealed to the young men to dedicate their lives to the propagation of Islam, Maulana Butt left his government job to devote his life to the service of the faith. In 1946, he became student of the training class for missionaries. For two years, he acquired knowledge of the Holy Quran, Tradition, Islamic Jurisprudence and the works of Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the Promised Messiah from Hazrat Maulana Abdul Rahman Misri. After completing the training course, he was appointed as the Assistant Editor of the weekly Paigham-i Sulh for some time. In 1951, Maulana Butt passed the examinations of Arabic and Bachelor of Arts at the University of the Punjab. He also served as Hazrat Ameer Maulana Sadr-ud-Din’s personal assistant for some time, and assisted him in writing and printing two of his renowned books, Ghalba-i Quran (The Triumph of the Holy Quran) and Zuroorat-i Hadith (The Importance of the Tradition). In August 1956, the Central Anjuman sent him to Woking, England as the Assistant Imam of the Shah Jehan Mosque. He also delivered the Friday sermons and led the congregational prayers on behalf of the Mission at the Pakistan High Commission, at the request of His Excellency Muhammad. Ikramullah, Pakistan’s High Commissioner in London. Maulana Butt stayed in England for three years during which he also attended the sessions of the World Congress of Faiths. In 1958, he met the Archbishop of Canterbury on the occasion of the Independence Day of India and had an interesting conversation with him.
Meanwhile, the Qadiani-Ahmadi’s sent a murrabi named Munir D. Ahmed (a cousin of the famous Naseem Mahdi), he quit Ahmadiyya a few years after landing in Germany.
In 1965, two thousand copies of Sadr ud Din’s German Quran and with its off-set edition were published in Pakistan. A sum of Rs. 20,000 was donated for it by a generous lady of Multan. Mrs. Sheikh Ataullah. The stock of this edition was also soon exhausted.
Old Students of the college who migrated to Germany in early 70s outside Nur Masjid Frankfurt. Masood Ahmad Jehlami, himself an old student can be seen in the centre.
(photo provided by Saima, daughter of Mansoor Ahmad Kahlon Marhoom)
In 1973 Maulana Sadr-ud-Din the founder of the German Muslim Mission ¾ visited Berlin during a month-long tour of South America for missionary and organisational purposes.
The first Jalsa held in Germany was in 1975 in which approximately 70 people attended. The first Jalsa Salana in Germany took place on Sunday 28December 1975 in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar, Hamburg; commencing at 10am, concluding at 7pm. The inaugural and concluding sessions were chaired by Fazl-e-Ilahi Anwari Sahib who was the Amir and Missionary-in-charge of Germany. A list has been found of the attendees of this Jalsa which includes members from Denmark, Frankfurt and 23 other participants from various countries. This inaugural Jalsa saw a total of six speeches delivered in which one was delivered by Al-Haj Nuh Sven Hansen of Denmark.
In June 1977, Maulana Butt met the Muslim prisoners in the prisons of Berlin at the request of the Minister of the Judiciary of the Government. He spoke with them on different issues and presented a few copies of the German translation of the Holy Quran by Maulana Sadr-ud-Din to the Prison library.
The second Jalsa Salana of Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany took place on 8 January 1977 which was also held in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar, Hamburg. This Jalsa was actually meant to take place in 1976, but due to some reasons could not be held in December that year. The Jalsa committee consisted of the following five organisers:
1. Syed Mansoor Ahmad Sahib
2. Abdul Jalil Butt Sahib
3. Rafiq Ahmad Javed Sahib
4. Khurshid Ahmad Sahib
5. Abdul Rashid Khalid Sahib
During this Jalsa, 29 members of 14 Jamaats outside of Hamburg attended while approximately 20 attended from within Hamburg. The inaugural and concluding sessions were chaired by Missionary In-charge Germany, Haidar Ali Zafar Sahib. Apart from Haidar Ali Zafar Sahib, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib, missionary of Frankfurt, and Herbert Gehrts Sahib also delivered speeches. There were four sessions during this one-day Jalsa in which various academic competitions also took place; the winners received prizes from a Danish Ahmadi, Kamal Karo Sahib. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, January 1977)
The third Jalsa Salana also took place in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar in Hamburg and the duration of the Jalsa was also increased – lasting two days, from 24 to 25 December 1977. This Jalsa Salana was, for the first time, named “Jalsa Salana West Germany” – 250 in attendance, including 30 non-Ahmadi guests. The guests consisted of Jamaat members from England, Norway and members from 42 cities of Germany. For the first time, a message was sent for the Jalsa from the Markaz in Rabwah by Wakil-ut-Tabshir and was read out by Chaudhry Abdul Latif Sahib who served as a missionary in Germany.
The inaugural and concluding speeches were delivered by Missionary In-charge, Haidar Ali Zafar Sahib. Apart from him, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib, missionary in Frankfurt, Nur Ahmad Bolstad Sahib who was the Amir of Norway and various other locals delivered speeches during the course of the Jalsa. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, January 1978)
A special aspect of this Jalsa was that for the first time, a separate meeting of Lajna members took place on the second day; a total of 20 Lajna members attended. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, February 1978).
Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany witnessed its fourth Jalsa on 24-25 December 1978 in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar, Hamburg in which a total of 120 people attended. The organisational committee was headed by Laiq Ahmad Munir Sahib who served as missionary in Hamburg. The inaugural address was delivered by Missionary In-charge, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib. The special guest of this Jalsa was Izet Olevic Sahib from Sweden. A question and answer session was also held in which participants took keen interest. A documentary on Hazrat Khalifatul Masih III’srh tour of Germany and London was also shown.
The Jalsa Salana that took place in 1980 was a two-day Jalsa lasting from 5 to 6 April in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar, Hamburg. The Jalsa was not held the previous year due to some reasons, therefore this was the fifth Jalsa and also the last in Masjid Fazl-e-Umar, Hamburg. The reason for this shift from Hamburg was because many Ahmadis had migrated to Germany by that time and were mostly situated in and around Frankfurt, therefore it was easier for everyone to reach Frankfurt as compared to Hamburg. So, the decision was made to relocate the Jalsa to Frankfurt from Hamburg for the following year.
The inaugural and concluding sessions of this Jalsa Salana were chaired by Amir and Missionary In-charge, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib whilst the special guest was Muniruddin Shams Sahib from London who delivered an English speech entitled “Tabligh of Islam in England and the Future of Ahmadiyyat”. For this Jalsa, a message was also received from Wakil-e-Ala, Mirza Mubarak Ahmad Sahib from Rabwah. From the German populace, Abdullah Uwe Wagishauser Sahib delivered a speech entitled “My Experiences of Jalsa Salana Rabwah and Qadian” whilst Hadayatullah Hubsch Sahib delivered a speech entitled “Practising Islam in a Westernised Atmosphere” which was greatly attended by the audience. On the second day, a separate session for Lajna Imaillah also took place. The final attendance of the Jalsa reached 700, a number that greatly surpassed the capacity of Masjid Fazl-e-Umar and many marquees had to be erected on the lawns that surrounded the mosque. In fact, the turnout was such that many had to sit on the roads and in the neighbours’ gardens, according to Laiq Ahmad Munir Sahib.
Jalsa Salana Germany – Frankfurt
Jalsa Salana Germany in 1981 opened a new chapter for the Germany Jamaat as the Jalsa had now moved from Hamburg to Frankfurt; it took place on 18-19 April 1981 in Haus Gallus Hall – it was the 6th Jalsa Salana. From an organisational point of view, there were, for the first time, ten different departments and a huge organisational committee set up under the supervision of Abdullah Uwe Wagishauser Sahib. The special guest on this occasion was a Ghanaian Minister, Emanuel Mahma Yakubu, while Mir Masood Ahmad Sahib from Denmark and Abdul Aziz Farhakhun Sahib from Holland also attended the Jalsa. Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IIIrh graciously sent a three-page message in English to be read out to the attendees. Both of these messages were read out by the Amir and Missionary In-charge, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib. A new record was set with an attendance of 750 in this Jalsa. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, 1981).
The 7th Jalsa Salana took place on 10-11 April 1982 in the same hall in Frankfurt and a message from Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IIIrh was received. Mubarak Ahmad Saqi Sahib was sent as a representative from the Markaz. The Jalsa’s total attendance was 762. (Tahrik-e-Jadid, June 1982 page 10.)
The 8th Jalsa Salana took place on 2-3 April 1983 in a hall, namely Volksbildungsheim, Eschenheimer Anlage, at the heart of Frankfurt city. This hall bore special significance as mulaqats were previously held with Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh of Jamaat members in this hall (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, March 1983). The total attendance of the Jalsa was 230. Special guests included missionary of Spain, Karam Ilahi Zafar Sahib, and Bashir Ahmad Orchard Sahib from England. The accommodation was set up in the city of Frankfurt and in the houses of Ahmadis living in the suburbs, whilst food arrangements were made in Masjid Nur. Food was cooked and served there. The ladies also held a separate session on the second day. (Records of Wakalat-e-Tabshir, Rabwah)
Organisation like Jalsa Salana Rabwah
Another special aspect of the Jalsa of 1983 was that the organisational structure was like that of Jalsa Salana Rabwah. For this, missionary to Germany, Abdul Basit Tariq Sahib, was appointed as Afsar Jalsa Salana whilst the opportunity to serve as Afsar Jalsa Gah was given to Naz Ahmad Nasir Sahib. Under the supervision of these gentlemen, the nazimeen of various departments organised the Jalsa with great professionalism (History of Germany Jamaat Record Office). All the Jalsas that followed were organised on the precepts of Jalsa Salana Rabwah.
The last Jalsa to be held in this hall in Frankfurt took place on 21-22 April 1984 in which a very inspirational and special message was sent by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh. Missionary In-charge Holland, Abdul Hakim Akmal Sahib, and a Danish convert, Sven Hans Sahib, also attended. 80 different Jamaats participated out of the 88 present in Germany – the total attendance reached 1,000 out of which 300 were non-Ahmadi German and Pakistani guests. A special meeting was also held for guests in which a question and answer session also took place. (Record Wakalat-e-Tabshir Rabwah).
New milestone in history of Jalsa Germany
The attendance of Jalsa Salana Germany was increasing yearly, and by 1984, there was a strong need for an open space to be acquired to accommodate these numbers. Allah the Almighty blessed the Jamaat with a plot of land 40 kilometres away from Frankfurt; it was in Gross-Gerau and was named Nasir Bagh; the Jalsa of 1985 was held here.
The attendance of this Jalsa exceeded 1,200 in which eight countries were represented and included 25 German Ahmadi converts. Syed Kamal Yusuf Sahib and Mustafa Thabit Sahib were the special guests of this Jalsa. For the first time, Urdu and English speeches were also translated into Arabic and German. Small tents were pitched for various departments and a special area was allocated for a car park. The loudspeaker was used for the Azan, various prayers (Zikr-e-Ilahi), Durud Sharif, Urdu poems, slogans and announcements during the Jalsa – this was reminiscent of the atmosphere of Jalsas in Qadian and Rabwah. Ahmadis arrived from various parts of Germany in groups and were all welcomed in a very beautiful manner. There was also a service to collect guests arriving at the train station. Thus, the attendees of this Jalsa enjoyed an open atmosphere where they could gain all the blessings of the Jalsa.
The third ever Qadiani-Ahmadi temple is opened, Baitul Shukoor (Ahmadiyya Muslim Mosques Around The World – A Pictorical Presentation. Ahmadiyya Muslim Community; Khilafat Centenary Edition. 2008. ISBN 978-1882494514).
It was during this year that Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh appointed Abdullah Uwe Wagishauser Sahib as the Amir of Germany; the Jalsa of 1985 was also organised under the supervision of Abdullah Uwe Wagishauser Sahib.
Jalsa Salanas in Germany continued to be held in Nasir Bagh until 1994.
The 4th Khalifa attends the Jalsa in Germany. He attended every Jalsa (except 1999 and 2002) since 1987.
Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh blessed the 13th Jalsa Salana in 1988 that was held in Nasir Bagh in which he delivered inspirational and spiritually rejuvenating speeches during the inaugural and concluding sessions. Huzoorrh also gave the opportunity to the Jamaat for a question and answer session. Masood Ahmad Jhelmi Sahib of Switzerland also attended the Jalsa. The Jalsa had a total attendance of more than 5,000 participants.
A grand Jalsa during the centenary celebrations
At the completion of 100 years of the Jamaat in 1989, celebrations were held by Jamaats throughout the world. During that year, Jalsa Salana was held from 12-14 May, and in many ways, it held a special grandeur. Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh blessed the Jalsa with three insightful addresses, the third of which was in the Lajna Jalsa Gah. This was historical as it was the first time in which Hazrat Khalifatul Masih delivered an address in the ladies’ side during Jalsa Salana Germany.
A question and answer session was also held for external guests in which 350 guests attended. The total Jalsa attendance exceeded 7,000 in which 165 representatives from 15 countries attended. Two key-figures of the local city attended along with the Ambassador of Kenya to Germany. During that Jalsa, all speeches were translated simultaneously into German and English.
A special session was also held during the 1989 Jalsa on the life of Prophet Muhammadsa in which guests delivered speeches, including Ataul Mujeeb Rashed Sahib, Bashir Ahmad Khan Rafiq Sahib, Mubarak Ahmad Saqi Sahib and, from Spain, Karam Ilhahi Zafar Sahib.
During the concluding session of this Jalsa, Amir Jamaat Germany presented a special plaque to Huzoorrh while Sami Arif Sahib presented a beautiful model of Minarat-ul-Masih to Huzoorrh.
It was during this Jalsa that Huzoorrh, whilst showing his love, initiated the 100-Mosque Scheme for Germany Jamaat (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, July 1989).
A new millstone was reached during Jalsa Salana Germany in 1990 when the attendance reached 10,000 – the Jalsa was held from 1-3 June in Nasir Bagh, Gross-Gerau. By that time, the car park – usually located in the premises of Nasir Bagh – was insufficient, and another nearby field had to be acquired for this.
The Jalsa was expanding at an exponential rate, and by the Jalsa of 26-28 August 1994, the attendance reached 23,000 for which the large open land of Nasir Bagh proved insufficient. In fact, the field which was hired from a neighbour to accommodate 3,500 cars also became too small. (Al Fazl International, 9 September 1994).
From Nasir Bagh to Maimarkt
Nasir Bagh became too small for Jalsa Salana, hence another large premises called Maimarkt was hired to accommodate the Jalsa. Situated in the famous city of Mannheim – 90 kilometres from Frankfurt – the 20th Jalsa Salana Germany was held in Maimarkt on 8, 9 and 10 September 1995.
The men’s Jalsa Gah was in the main area of Maimarkt and there was widespread worry that due to its vastness, it would seem empty. However, Divine decree had it that from the very first day to the last, the hall remained full with Jalsa guests. The attendance of Jalsa Salana exceeded 17,000 from 30 different countries. A separate Lajna Jalsa Gah marquee was also erected while special marquees were put up for serving food. An area was allocated for private tents where guests could pitch their own tents and a very large area was also used for car parking which was located just outside of Maimarkt.
Registration, security and toilet facilities were specially made which was convenient for the guests. Another convenient arrangement of Maimarkt was that Hazrat Khalifatul Masih’s residence was within the premises; this meant that Huzoorrh did not have to travel long distances to reach the Jalsa Gah every day. This place was blessed and was used for 16 years until 2010.
Jalsas held in Mannheim
A special aspect of Jalsa Salana Germany in 1997 held in Maimarkt, Mannheim from 15-17 August was that along with Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh, many members of the blessed family of the Promised Messiahas attended the Jalsa; these included Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmadaa,Khalifatul Masih Vaa, Sahibzada Mirza Mansoor Ahmad Sahib, Nazir-e-Ala and Amir-e-Muqami Rabwah, Syed Mir Mahmood Ahmad Nasir Sahib and Mirza Umar Ahmad Sahib. The total attendance was 21,000 from more than 30 different countries. During this Jalsa, Huzoorrh reminded the Jamaat of the 100-Mosque Scheme and announced a promise of 150,000 Deutsche Marks from himself and on behalf of his children and late wife for the scheme.
The Jalsa which followed in 1998 was organised into 62 departments in which 4,000 volunteers served. The total attendance was more than 23,000.
Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh could not attend Jalsa Salana 1999. The chief-guest was Abdul Wahab Adam Sahib, Amir Jamaat Ghana, who hoisted the flag to inaugurate the Jalsa and delivered a speech in Urdu, which proved of great interest for the audience.
The year 2000 marked the silver jubilee of Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany. A total of 23,000 guests attended from 40 different countries. The guests who delivered speeches included Muhammad Azam Akseer Sahib of Rabwah and Naseer Ahmad Qamar Sahib of London. During this Jalsa, speeches were translated simultaneously into 10 different languages.
Markazi (Central) Jalsa Salana 2001
Due to the outbreak of the foot-and-mouth disease across the UK, the Markazi Jalsa Salana could not take place in the United Kingdom. Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh accepted the request of Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany to hold the Markazi Jalsa in Germany that year; Huzoorrh graciously accepted their request. Thus, the 21st Jalsa Salana in Germany was an International Jalsa Salana. According to one report, a total of 48,600 people from 60 different countries attended this Jalsa. As this was the International Markazi Jalsa, the International Bai‘at also took place here in which thousands of people from many nationalities pledged the oath of initiation. This Jalsa was broadcast live on MTA International. (Al Fazl International, Vol. 8, September 2001)
This was the last time Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh visited Germany. Huzoorrh delivered speeches throughout the Jalsa as he would in the Markazi Jalsa held in the United Kingdom. That year, Sahibzada Mirza Waseem Ahmad Sahib from Qadian, Nawab Mansoor Ahmad Khan Sahib from Rabwah, Muniruddin Shams Sahib and Maulana Naseer Ahmad Qamar Sahib from London attended the Jalsa as guest speakers. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, September 2001).
Due to frail health, Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh could not attend Jalsa Salana Germany in 2002 – the atmosphere during Jalsa was not the same, however the 23,000 attendees prayed for Huzoor’srh health. In 2002, Hakim Muhammad Din Sahib from Qadian, Dost Muhamad Shahid Sahib and Sahibzada Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Sahib from Rabwah, and Ataul Mujeeb Rashed Sahib from London attended the Jalsa and delivered speeches.
First Jalsa Germany of Fifth Khilafat
The Jalsa of August (22-24) 2003 was the first Jalsa during the period of Khilafat-e-Khamisa and Huzooraa blessed the 31,000 attendees of the Jalsa with his presence and his speeches.
The guest speakers included Wakil-e-Ala Tahrik-e-Jadid, Chaudhry Hameedullah Sahib and Akhlaq Anjum Sahib, London.
Khalifatul Masih Vaa also inaugurated the Jalsa Salana in 2004 with the Friday Sermon and hoisting of Liwa-e-Ahmadiyyat. Huzooraa delivered a speech at the Lajna side on the second day whilst also delivering a concluding speech on the final day of Jalsa. A special meeting was also held on the second day of Jalsa Salana with external guests and the meeting was blessed with the presence of Hazrat Khalifatul Masih. Nazir Islah-o-Irshad, Raja Naseer Ahmad Sahib from Rabwah and Mubarak Ahmad Nazir Sahib from Canada attended as guest speakers.
The 30th Jalsa Salana’s theme in 2005 was “Al-Wasiyyat” as Huzooraa had drawn special attention to the system of Wasiyyat at the previous UK Jalsa Salana. Accordingly, Mujeeb-ur-Rahman Sahib delivered an address on the “New World Order Based on the System of Wasiyyat”, while Mubashar Ahmad Kahlon Sahib was also a guest speaker. (History of Germany Jamaat Record Office).
Hazrat Khalifatul Masih Vaa was unable to attend Jalsa Salana 2006, however Huzooraa sent a cordial message to the attendees of Jalsa. Laiq Ahmad Tahir Sahib and Naseer Ahmad Qamar Sahib both delivered speeches. A total of 20,000 people from 29 countries attended the Jalsa. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, September 2006).
From 31 August to 2 September 2007, Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany held its 32nd Jalsa. During this Jalsa Huzooraa announced that Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany had included fifty percent of those eligible to donate chanda [financial sacrifice] in the system of Wasiyyat, thus reaching the target that Huzooraa had set for them. The attendance of this Jalsa exceeded 26,000 people from 28 countries. Over 5,000 volunteers worked day and night to organise the Jalsa.
Prior to this Jalsa, only the speeches, especially those of Hazrat Khalifatul Masih, were being transmitted on MTA. However, during this Jalsa, a special transmission was shown live on MTA between each session; this continues to this day. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, September 2007).
The Jalsa Salana of 2008 was named the Khilafat Jubilee Jalsa as a hundred years had passed of the institution of Khilafat-e-Ahmadiyya. All speeches were based on the topic of Khilafat. A total of 37,000 people from 40 countries attended the Jalsa. The speeches were translated live in nine different languages. More than 5,000 people were volunteering in setting up and running the Jalsa.
Jamaat-e-Ahmadiyya Germany held its 34th Jalsa Salana from 12-14 August 2009 in Mannheim, Maimarkt. A total of more than 32,000 people from 44 countries attended. Guest speakers included Nazir Taleem, Syed Tahir Ahmad Shah Sahib of Rabwah.
After the Lahore attacks, the first occasion in which Jamaat members gathered in such a large number was during Jalsa Salana Germany in June 2010. Every Ahmadi was emotional due to the heartfelt speeches delivered by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih Vaa. Two poems were specially read out prior to the final session speech, on the instruction of Huzooraa; the first, written by Hazrat Musleh Maudra entitled “Dushman ko zulm ki barchi se” and the second, written by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih IVrh entitled “Do ghari sabr se kam lo sathiyo”. The emotions of the audience after these poems were recited depicted a scene worthy of being witnessed.
On the instruction of Huzooraa, Amir Jamaat Germany delivered a speech on the subject of martyrdom while the late Hadayatullah Hubsch Sahib expressed his feelings about the incident in the form of a poem. Abdus Sami Khan Sahib, Editor The Daily Al Fazl, attended as a guest from Rabwah. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, August/September 2010)
The 15 years prior saw Jalsa Salana Germany being held in Mannheim, however every year, the Jalsa and its organisation was expanding. Due to this reason, in light of the revelation vouchsafed to the Promised Messiahas:
“Expand thy house”, Jalsa Salana Germany had to be relocated. The last Jalsa in Mannheim in 2010 saw an attendance of more than 25,000 people.
Jalsa in Karlsruhe
With the permission of Hazrat Khalifatul Masih Vaa, the 36th Jalsa Salana Germany was held on 24-26 June 2011 at the DM Arena in Karlsruhe for the first time. This new area is 160 kilometres south of Frankfurt and has four identical large halls. Each hall is 12,500 square metres with a capacity to hold 16,000 people. Apart from these four large halls, there are numerous smaller halls, corridors and rooms around the premises. The complex is state of the art. Out of the four main halls, two are used for the ladies’ and men’s Jalsa Gah whilst the other two are used for the Langar, accommodation and various offices.
In the centre of the complex lies a beautiful green plot of land on which a stage is made for the flag hoisting ceremony. This area is also used for a studio for the various programmes of MTA International during Jalsa. Huzoor’s residence being close by in the Jalsa Days means Huzooraa regularly blesses the participants of Jalsa with his presence throughout the three days.
Hazrat Khalifatul Masih Vaa also, through his kindness, blessed the 36th Jalsa Salana in Karlsruhe with his presence. He delivered spiritually-charged addresses, held meetings with students and also blessed new Ahmadis with mulaqats. With the permission of Huzooraa, Muhammad-ud-Din Naz Sahib from Rabwah and Naseem Mahdi Sahib from Canada attended this Jalsa and delivered speeches. A special speech was also delivered by Munir Ahmad Javed Sahib, Private Secretary to Hazrat Khalifatul Masih, on the topic, “A Living Connection with Khilafat”.
This Jalsa saw 26,872 in attendance from 44 different countries who travelled to Jalsa on public transport and personal means of transport. The total amount of cars which arrived at the Jalsa, according to the parking department, was 13,680. A total of 912 degs (large pots) of food were prepared for Jalsa guests. (Akhbar-e-Ahmadiyya Germany, July-August 2011, pp. 59-65)
The Jalsa proved to be more successful and comfortable in the new complex and due to the increasing number of guests, further expansion is being made as each year passes.
German Ahmadi’s killed their own daughter for having a Muslim boyfriend.
Anonymous Ahmadi students in Germany wrote openly against the Ahmadiyya community. A splinter group of Ahmadi’s emerges and is lead by a weirdo and they even had Jalsa Salana’s.
Samina Khan, exposes Ahmadiyya in Germany for fake asylum, human trafficking and exploitation.
Some 535 Ahmadis are currently being threatened with deportation in Germany
Via the islam_Ahmadiyya reddit page, we have come to learn about an incident with the Ahmadiyya Jamaat in Germany wherein they lambasted their own female member after she organized a promotional event for her cosmetic products and she invited a popular musician as well. A lot of other ahmadi Lajnas in support attended too for her business, turns out, Jamaat issued a full publication against her and her event as it contradicts “Haya” and “Parda”. She also received several hate messages by Jamaat members telling her to go die as they don’t need members like her in the community. You can find the full article in German herein. We have posted the english translation in the below.
Links and Related Essay’s
#ahmadiyya #ahmadiyyafactcheckblog #messiahhascome #ahmadiyyat #trueislam #ahmadianswers #ahmadiyyamuslimcommunity #ahmadiyya_creatives #ahmadiyyatthetrueislam #ahmadiyyatzindabad #ahmadiyyatrueislam #ahmadiyyamuslim #mirzaghulamahmad #qadiani #qadianism